The 2020 NM Legislative Session: January Calls to Action
Tuesday, January 21, is the first day of the New Mexico Legislative Session. Tewa Women United and our community partners will be engaging with issues during the month-long session that are related to our mission of ending violence against women, girls, and Mother Earth. We’ll share updates throughout the month, and encourage you to take part in calls to action.
To prepare for this session, it’s helpful to know your legislators. Find them here.
January Calls to Action at the State Capitol Roundhouse
(490 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe)
Tuesday, Jan 21: First Day of the Legislative Session
9 am to 12:30 pm
Facebook Event Page
Youth United For Climate Crisis Action (YUCCA) invites you:
- Testify against PNM’s proposed new gas plant in the San Juan Coal Plant Replacement Power Case
- Join us for a heart-wrenching performance/action to kick-off the 2020 Legislature
Join YUCCA leaders (Youth United for Climate Crisis Action, a youth-led project of Earth Care) and Indigenous leaders of New Energy Economy’s Just Transition team. Give up to three minutes of testimony against the proposal for a new gas plant in the Four Corners and join youth activists for a powerful performance piece and press statement on the first day of the 2020 New Mexico Legislative Session that will remind NM lawmakers that there is no time to waste and the young people of northern New Mexico and the adults who love them are demanding urgent and immediate action on the climate crisis.
- 9:00 am: Give and listen to public testimony against PNM’s proposed gas plant at the PRC
- 11:30 am: YUCCA Action at the Legislature
- 12:00 pm: YUCCA Press Conference at the Legislature
Tuesday, Jan 28: Environment Day
8 am – 3 pm
Organized and hosted by:
- Sierra Club Rio Grande Chapter
- San Juan Citizens Alliance
- Environment New Mexico
- Diné C.A.R.E.
- Tewa Women United
- 350 New Mexico
- Food and Water Watch New Mexico
More details coming soon; also follow on this Facebook event page.
Wednesday, Jan 29: Acequia Day at the Roundhouse
10:30 am–2 pm
Rally with farmers and ranchers to celebrate the importance of acequias to New Mexico. For more information, call the New Mexico Acequia Association at (505) 995-9644 or visit www.lasacequias.org.